Tuesday, February 01, 2005

All Aboard?

The winter doldrums are subsiding (the ice, however, is not) and (some) buzz is returning to town. The Atlantic Highlands Herald reported that a member of the mayor's Waterfront Advisory Committee proposed applying for a one million dollar grant to help acquire the Giuliani property. The committee's original recommendation from October, 2004 can be seen here. More thoughts on the development of the harbor can be read in the Muse's comments section from 1/28.

I think there are some fantastic ideas here. As I replied, I think there will be some resistance to parts from commuters and thus Seastreak, and perhaps even the town; however, I think that we have a nice vision of how out town could progress and evolve. To have soccer fields where existing parking lots are on the harbor would be incredible and anyone who has a problem riding a trolley has serious issues - that's just fun. The vision that Benson has presented combined with the (one day?) completion of the bike trail would make Atlantic Highlands an even more special town than it is already. I really feel the sky is the limit - with smart planning we can balance the needs of residents, businesses, commuters, boaters, republicans, democrats, independents, libertarians, librarians, guys named Phil and everyone else who has an opinion on the future of our town. Plus, I'm banking on driving that trolley once I retire from the Big Apple commute. I even have my trolley driver hat picked out.

I encourage readers to share their thoughts in the comments section or by emailing me something they would like posted for others to consider.

Congrats to Allan Dean on his Atlantic Highlands Herald being named an official newspaper by the county Freeholders. According to the Herald, Monmouth the first county to name an exclusively electronic official newspaper. Very progressive. Progress is not a bad thing is it?

I know from reading the Herald that Mr. Dean has been trying very hard to get his electronic newspaper recognized by Borough Hall as an official newspaper. I also know that the publisher of the Bayshore Courier, Jim Purcell, took some shots at the Herald in an editorial last week for not meeting all the requirements of the state law regarding official newspapers (a pretty ridiculous topic for him to address in an editorial as all he was basically doing was advertising his legal notices advertising department). I find the reporting on the Herald a bit partisan at times but it does provide a good forum for residents to share opinions.

Speaking of an opinion - my opinion is that THESE GUYS ARE NUTS!


Five guys are going to row from Atlantic Highlands - you know, in New Jersey - to Rotterdam - the one in Holland! Unbelievable! First they'll head over from New York and then prepare to break a world record by making the journey in 55 days. They're doing this for the Dutch Cancer Society. I hope the town is planning to give them a big send off. Totally cool. Check out the website if you don't believe me. Thanks to Tim Holt, GM of the Blue Bay Inn, for the scoop.

Last week I wrote that I was looking for a home weaponry storage system for my various samurai swords, nun chucks and brass knuckles. Well, who would have thought that when I opened the pages of our very own Atlantic Highlands Beacon the answer would be right in front of me! Our very own Dirty Harry Fred Rast made it simple: an old bike lock. I've got like four of those in my garage. Egggcellllllllent.

I'm going to scan the article and post it here for those of you who missed it. I will also thoroughly ridicule it.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I'll put my vote in for a town BBQ in the park by the harbor. We should also shut down First Ave. and get a street fair going. I know a great rock n' roll band from Hoboken that would love to come down and play(plug:seekinghomer.com) and do a little acoustic jam with local musicians.

As the town is linked to this incredible story I think we have to do something. Whether Borough Hall gets involved or not, the least we could do is see if we can get use of a field for some BBQ, brews and badmitton.

I think the Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club is involved. I'm going to contact them for some more information and see if anything is in the works.

I think it makes sense to push back the FPC party if we can pull something together for Team Holland.

Tim said...

We should also raise money for the Dutch and American Cancer Societies.