Monday, January 24, 2005

Yer Yeller

The snow just isn't as much fun when you're running late trying to make one of a handful of ferries to take you to work so you can slog through city slush all to, uh, WORK. Yippee. Ugh. All in all though it wasn't too bad. In fact, after hopping a cab from Wall St. I arrived at work just about the same time I do most days.

Could someone please inform Borough Hall, TGIFriday's Harborside Grill and Harbor management to shovel the freakin' sidewalks. I heard a rumor that if I didn't shovel my sidewalk for a certain period of time after a snow storm I could be held liable if someone slipped and cracked their head open in front of my house. I don't know the legal particulars but I know stretches of sidewalks on First Avenue were still knee deep with snow this morning. Don't you people know I have a hard enough time walking to the boat with one eye partially open on nice days? Jeesh.

Paul Boyd, town historian, published an interesting article in the Asbury Park Press today. Stores in Atlantic Highlands had some of the first kinetoscopes, which were precursors to the vitagraph and projected movies. The article also mentions that silent and talkie movie actor Fritz Leiber lived in town and that William Randolph Hearst used to stay in town frequently when docking his steam schooner. This is reassuring. We now know all the drama and yellow journalism (see rumors item below) we're currently subjected to has been going on for a long long time - it's not just us.
[More to follow on yellow journalism later this week, I'm busy right now trying to find a lock-box to lock up all my swords, nunchucks and Chinese stars lest my three year old gets all Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon on me. Does anyone know someone I can talk to about proper home weaponary storage?]

Will you look all these rumors, surrounding me everyday... (that one goes way back to 1986).
From the Atlantic Highlands Herald forums:

Perhaps Mr. Dean should reconsider publishing rumors like this if he wants his AH Herald to become an official town newspaper.

[You can click here for a larger screen capture if you are unable to read the forum postings above.]


No comments: