Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Snoozeday

Not a whole lot of local chatter to report. I guess this is the calm before the storm Council meeting tomorrow night.

Atlantic Highlands isn't the only bayshore town with its own poem. Check out On the Pier at Keansburg by Maureen McVeigh-Berzok.

If you haven't noticed, the official town website got quite a makeover. Instead of wishing me "happy holidays" the homepage now announces a "special planning board meeting." On April 6th. The 2004 concert series was also yanked in favor of the 2005 concert series. Anyone heard of the band Concert Schedule TBD? I hear they can rock with the best of 'em, even the Bob Paddock Orchestra. Speaking of the Bob Paddock Orchestra, did anyone catch his cover of Happy Birthday last summer? Classic.

I got a sneak peak at the next issue of the Atlantic Highlands Beacon over the weekend. Interestingly, there was no "Main Street" article by Fred Rast. I was hoping he'd offer some advice on security preparations for the arrival of the carny folk during this summer's fireman's fair. But alas, the issue was not without some giggles, make sure you turn to "Who Are the People in Your Neighborhood" and check out the Chamber of Commerce insert. In the Chamber insert you'll find quite possibly the most ridiculous name for a store ever in the history of retail, O'synchronicities - a new boutique selling belts, bags, scarves and jewelry.

Get this - you can shop online at Jaspan Brothers. What's better than Jaspan Brothers? Nothing.

Forget Million Dollar Baby, Sideways and The Aviator, the best movie from 2004 was so obviously Napoleon Dynamite. If you haven't seen it go rent it. I can't believe it wasn't at least nominated for best script.

Speaking of renting movies - has anyone else given up on renting DVDs? We cancelled NetFlix because practically every movie we rented would skip or my DVD player would simply inform me that the "disc is dirty." We've gone back to renting VHS from Eastpointe because the same thing happened with their discs. (No, it's not our DVD player - it works fine for my CDs) Perhaps most annoying about DVDs are the "selection indicators" (for lack of a better term) when navigating the menu. It usually takes me five minutes to figure out what sign I should be looking for to know what selection I'm about to make. Guess I'm just getting old and cranky. I miss the days of guys riding the subways with boomboxes on their shoulders. Now everyone walks around with those fancy white wires running out of their heads.

Actually, I love my iPod. It may be the singular greatest human achievement in the past 25 years. Or more.

Former Marlboro Mayor Matthew Scannapieco pleaded guilty today to accepting $245,000 in cash bribes from 1997 - 2003. At least this guy went for some serious dough - not like the knucklehead mayors recently arrested for bribes of under $10,000. Here's the press release from U.S. District Attorney Christopher J. Christie, aka Mr. Jonny Law.

No comments: